The University of Houston Paralegal Certificate Program provides students with a comprehensive learning experience. In addition to classroom lectures, guest speakers with immense law backgrounds are invited to teach specific topics related to their fields. Our instructors are passionate about challenging students to not only learn paralegal skills but to also gain the confidence necessary to work successfully in the legal field.
We help you develop the skills you need to have a successful career as a paralegal. Our course helps you fully understand key legal terminology and laws while you develop your investigative research skills that are essential to being a top-notch paralegal. We also offer hands-on experience with industry-standard software used in legal research and litigation support. Graduates of the Paralegal Certificate Program have been met with great success in finding employment as paralegals.
Register for an upcoming information session:
Course Topics Include
- Statutes, Common Law, Case Law, Regulations, and the Constitution
- Ethics of being a Paralegal
- US Court System
- Practical skills needed to be a paralegal
- Two convenient program formats that allow the flexibility you need to finish the program successfully.
- Great networking opportunities to help find a job.
- A challenging comprehensive skills-based curriculum that emphasizes doing the kind of work that is expected of paralegals.
"This class is an amazing opportunity to identify your strengths and weaknesses, and to improve on both. Professor Brennan has an uncanny way of seeing each of her students as they are, and working with them in a very honest and effective way. If you want to be a paralegal, this is THE opportunity to jump-start your career..."
Cresti Lake, UH Paralegal Certificate Program Graduate
Who is This Course For?
The Paralegal Certificate Program is for:
- Professionals who want to enter the legal field
- Foreign attorneys interested in learning the US legal system
- Anyone interested in the legal profession
- Those considering law school or a career change
- 10-week course meets on weekends from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- 12-week course meets weekdays from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- 144-total program hours consisting of 126 classroom hours and 18 field hours.
Required Program Materials: $400
Spring 2016 Weekday Program
Program dates: Mar. 3-May 19, 2016
Class Times: Mondays and Thursdays 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Enroll now »
Summer 2016 Weekend Program
Program dates: June. 4-Aug 14, 2016
Class Times: Saturdays and Sundays 9 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Enroll now »
About the Instructor
The Paralegal Certificate Program is taught by the Director of the Paralegal Program, Jac Brennan. She is an attorney whose practice focuses on disability and employment law issues. A 1997 graduate of the University of Houston Law Center, she is licensed to practice in Texas, as well as in federal courts and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
In addition to her work as an attorney and instructor, Jac is the President of the Board of Directors for two non-profit organizations -- Project DOCC Houston and A Simple Thread. She has been the Director of the University of Houston Paralegal Certificate Program since 2006.